Yahoo purchased a news app from a British teenager for $30 million, back in 2013. Having your own news app can be a very lucrative side hustle if you are good at delivering/writing great articles. This app can open up a large array of opportunities for any developer/company since you can easily use this app for any content delivery app idea. For example, You can use this app for your personal brand, blog, cooking recipes, a community-specific app like car enthusiasts, the stock market only news, etc. It's all about the content/articles that you have to write and publish on the Firebase database.
*** WHAT DOES THIS PRODUCT OFFER YOU ***
You will get the source code of the app that you can see on the video demo. Nothing more or less than what the video demo shows. Feel free to ask questions before buying.
The app is built using SwiftUI and Swift and supports iOS 14+. The app comes with a separate target which allows you to easily create news articles that are published to the Firebase database while sending a Push Notification to all users as soon as the article is published.
*** WHAT DO I NEED TO GET STARTED ***
You will need a Mac computer with Xcode 12 installed. This app requires iOS 14+. All app templates on this website are for iPhones, with no iPad support.
The entire app is built using SwiftUI. You will have to create a Firebase account in order to publish your own news content. AdMob account is also required to display native ads.
*** HOW DOES IT WORK ***
- The user will see a simple onboarding flow for the first time and they will be asked to grant push notifications permissions.
- The user will be prompted about app tracking transparency as well (https://developer.apple.com/app-store/user-privacy-and-data-use/)
- The app has 2 main tabs. Home tab and Discover tab. On the Home tab, the app shows up to 10 news. These are the "News of the Day" or "Breaking News"
- Discover tab will show a list of categories. These categories are specified in the app. Each category will fetch the latest news, up to 50 news per category.
- Whenever the user taps on a specific news article, a full screen of that article will be presented.
- The full-screen article is composed of a hero/header image, news category, headline text, lead/intro text, body/main content for the article, body image if available and footer text.
- When you add a new category in the code (AppConfig), the Firebase will return an URL in the Xcode logs, and you have to copy this URL and paste it into your browser, this way Firebase will create a query index for your new category.
- You will see that the full-screen article view, shows a nice native AdMob ad right after the lead/intro text. We show only 1 native ad per article
- Make sure to test the push notifications on a device, not simulator.
*** ABOUT DATABASE ***
The app is using the Firebase database. We're using Firebase Firestore for articles and Firebase Storage for images. Push Notifications are also sent using Firebase, so you will have to configure your Firebase Cloud Messaging with your Apple Push Notifications certificate. Help will be provided for free if necessary, also we have PDF documentation and links to guide you through the setup process.
*** NEWS CREATOR ***
We don't want you to struggle when creating news articles and for that reason, we've created a separate target into the main Xcode project, which allows you to easily run this target/news creator app on your simulator, select the news category where you want to publish a new article, select the hero/body images, type in the author name, headline text and with one tap of a button, your article will be published on the Firebase Firestore Database, being available instantly for all your users.
You can even set a specific article as Breaking News or News of the Day if you want that article to show on on the Home tab of the app.
Whenever you publish an article with the News Creator, you can also send push notifications to all your users. For that to happen, follow the instructions in the PDF guide. You will need to generate an access token from Google OAuth Playground. This token is used only for push notifications and it expires in 1 hour, so make sure to refresh it whenever you create a new article. You have the option to send push notifications via Firebase Console as well, in this case, there is no need for any tokens.
If you need any assistance or custom work, don't hesitate to send us an email at email@example.com
As always, we wish you good luck with this product, and don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel, so you could be the first one to know when a new app template is released.
Order Worry Free.
We stand behind our products with confidence!
Unlimited FREE support included.